Registering as self employed
HMRC’s guidance says that you are probably self-employed if you:
- run your business for yourself and take responsibility for its success or failure;
- have several customers at the same time;
- can decide how, where and when you do your work;
- can hire other people at your own expense to help you or to do the work for you;
- are responsible for finishing any work in your own time;
- charge an agreed fixed price for your work;
- sell goods or services to make a profit (including online)
Your legal obligations if you become self-employed
You will need to register as self-employed if you earned more than £1,000 from self-employment between 6 April 2018 and 5 April 2019. If this is the first time that you are required to submit a tax return, you must register by the 5 October in your business’s second tax year. This is not a deadline you can choose to ignore as there are penalties for late notification.
If you’re newly self-employed you must also register:
- to pay Class 2 & Class 4 National Insurance contributions if applicable;
- you should monitor your turnover as registration for VAT will be necessary if sales exceed £85,000 over the preceding twelve months or if you expect it to exceed this limit in the next three months.
Posted by Cassey Nixon on
2nd May 2019
Tax Implications for Construction Industry
If you run a construction business and secure the services of sub-contractors, or if you are a sub-contractor, you will need to comply with a special set of tax rules known as the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS). The CIS rules determine the tax and National Insurance treatment for those working in the construction industry. Under […]
What Is a Joint Venture?
A joint venture is a commercial enterprise undertaken by two or more parties who otherwise retain their separate identities. The parties to the joint venture usually bring together different resources and areas of expertise to help fulfil a specific project. HMRC makes the point that on close examination of these associations prove to be partnerships, […]